|| Volksgrenadier Veterancy
|| 10% reduction to received accuracy.
|| Level 1
| 15% increase to accuracy.
|| Level 2
| 10% reduction to received damage, 15% reduction to cooldown & can buy second Panzerfaust use.
|| Level 3
| Known Unit (Custom Name)
|| Level 4
| Feared Unit (Custom Skin)
|| Level 5
| Volksgrenadier Visual Identification
Volksgrenadiers are formed up out of old men, young boys, and other candidates previously deemed unfit for service. They creation was necessitated by the difficulties of waging a two front war and a systemic manpower shortage throughout Germany. The name itself was intended to build morale, appealing at once to nationalism (Volk) and Germany's older military traditions (Grenadier).
By late 1944, war on both the eastern and western fronts has stretched Germany's remaining infantry divisions. In order to bolster their fighting strength to contend with the numerical superiority of the Allied forces, the Germans managed to scrap together approximately 50 divisions, consisting mainly of men and boys previously judged unfit for military service. These divisions, comprised of low quality troops built around the few hardened veterans leading the divisions, were given the grand name of Volksgrenadiers: "People's Grenadiers". In order to make up for the lack in quality of the the new troops, the Germans issued the Volksgrenadiers more close-range automatic weapons than those issued previously. Such weapons included the infamous MP40 machine pistol and the newly developed MP/STG44 assault rifle.
Along with creating new divisions from scratch, many existing infantry divisions which had suffered high casualties were also brought back to Volksgrenadier strength. As the dominance of the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe dwindled later in the war, personnel from these branches of the German military were absorbed into Volksgrenadier units. Due to the general lack of training, Volksgrenadiers were mainly used in defensive roles such as manning the famous Siegfried Line. This freed better trained divisions to participate in battles which demanded greater combat leadership and experience.
Tactics & Tips
- Basic Wehrmacht infantry, and they are really basic.
- Good rifles at range, but a slow rate of fire hurts their effectiveness at close range, and they have decent health. Get them into cover and let them do their thing.
- Can upgrade to MP40's, which will let them kill any rifle-equipped infantry at close range but they will lose their long-range edge. Thus, always charge them.
- Best used in combination with an MG42 Team.
- The Panzerfaust is mainly for use against vehicles. A volley of five will nearly if not totally kill a Allied medium tank.
- Use Volksgrenadiers as "cannon-fodder" when fighting near a friendly medic bunker as it only takes 4 casualties to get a Walking Wounded squad. Especially useful when playing with Defensive doctrine as you can continue fighting without retreating to reinforce.
- You usually don't worry about veterancy for these guys, you get it for Grenadiers and Stormtroopers.
- If you do manage to keep them alive. Vet. 3 Volksgrenadiers with MP40Â´s can beat two airborne squads.
- Also, they are fine for clearing mines and can build sandbags and wire. If you're not fighting or scouting, keep them busy, and build.
- Make sure to deny the enemy use of your sandbags by placing wire in front of them.